Friday, March 13, 2015

Freemo, BL2s and Baldwins..

There has been a fair bit of progress lately. (including a new video uploaded to Youtube).

The Freemo modules I described in the last post are pretty much built - adjustable feet were installed yesterday. I'm going along to a Freemo meet at Armitage tomorrow of the 'Midlands' group to see what it's all about. Never done anything like this before, so quite keen to find out. There will be handful of modules as it's a new and small group, but there will pictures to follow! I'm taking one of the boards to make sure I'm building properly, and I'll take a few bits of stock and my controller. Hopefully by the next meet I can actually add a module of my own to the set-up.

It occurred to me that I have never 'played trains' with anyone. Although I have made some friends through the hobby, and share lots of online and 'real' conversation, I've never actually operated a layout with anyone else. So far, that part of the hobby has been a very solitary activity. I have been offered the controller at one or two layouts at exhibitions before and always declined - mostly through fear of mucking up or driving someone else's trains off the table!

I've really enjoyed getting back in to my other hobby lately, and the social aspect of wargaming has re-vitalised that for me, so I am riding that wave for now!

As far as track plans go - I am applying the KISS principle and I aim to produce two stand-alone modules. I'll do a separate post on that once track-laying starts.. for now, bits of foamcore and felt pens have helped me to plan..



As well as the Freemo modules - I got stuck in with the BL2. I found a cheap decoder (probably Hornby or Bachmann) which I managed to get hooked up, along with a couple of LEDs and the loco has been put to service on it's first run to Brett this evening.


#36 switching a long string out of Northwest Lumber

I'll get some BL2 video posted soon. I really do like this loco and can see me looking for another BL2 at some point.

Speaking of new locos - I sold a bunch of stuff on eBay lately and treated myself to  a new sound-equipped loco.. I love the thereby old diesel sound of this, and the fact that it's a little different.. the model is a Bowser - Baldwin DS4-4-1000 switcher..

The Baldwin

Phew! I think that's enough for one post!



No comments: