Thursday, May 8, 2008

Lake District 009 project starts to take shape..

For once, I've actually put a bit of planning into a layout. The setting is somewhere in the northern part of the English Lake District..Borrowdale perhaps. A fictitious narrow gauge light railway built to haul ore/slate from the hills to an interchange at Keswick also makes revenue through general traffic. This little village terminus sees coal, goods and sheep being transported, as well as a few passengers and some tourists/walkers. It also is a place for small engines pulling ore skips from up the valley to run around before continuing off down towards the interchange.. The board is recycled from a previous layout. I laid a layer of camping groundmat down, which proved to be a bit of a nuisance once I started to install the GEM wire-in-tube point control, and may well infuriate me further when scenic work starts. The track is a first for me - all hand-built copper clad soldered construction. I've just started testing and fettling to make sure everything is running properly before I start ballasting or painting (a process which will hide the rough appearance of the track at the moment). I kind of wish I had tried this track building lark out in a larger scale to start with.. but why not jump in at the deep end eh?

No comments: