Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Decision time for Winkford.. all finished?

Haven't had as much time for doing or posting lately. However, Winkford has reached a point where it is pretty much 'finished'.


I now have a dilemma. I am quite pleased with the layout as a picture. I've even managed to fettle and tweak so that the odd de-railments are less frequent. (Back to back on the wheelsets provided in the kits seemed to be the root of that issue). But..


I don't enjoy playing with it. 


I don't know if it's a 'OO9' thing.. maybe I just don't like the feel of it (had a similar experience with N gauge a little while ago).. maybe the track plan is just too simple for any interesting. I'm thinking it's the former. It's all lacking a bit of weight and momentum that I've found that I prefer from model railways.


So, what to do?


One option is to tear up the track, bring the time forward a few years to when the company is bought up, and a standard gauge line laid. I could lay a small 'yard'.. basically a fork or small inglenook. Maybe hand-laying track to keep it interesting.. I think long term it'll struggle to hold interest too, but as a 'project' it has promise..


Another option is to take apart the whole thing. Salvage what I can and sell off the stock.


Or, try to sell the whole lot.. layout, stock etc. 


Not sure. Anyway, some pictures to record the current state of build..









1 comment:

James Finister said...

I built a oo9 layout with the same trackplan around 15 years ago and had the same issue. I can't see why you couldn't convert it to a oo9 inglenook, but would operation still feel unrealistic? Possibl, I still find that in 16mm.