Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A bit more 3mm

The last couple of weeks have seen some progress on my 3mm 'project'. I've laid a length of test track on a spare pine shelf. It's just 585mmx140mm, but enough for an A4 point and a little bit of track either side. The idea was to have a go at 'properly' handlaying solder constructed track before starting on a layout.

The sleeper built buffers tops are scratchbuilt in plasticard. I figured it was easier than trying to make up rail built ones!

It's 14.2mm gauge (3mm finescale), the rails are 3mm society code 60 bullhead, a lot easier to work with than I thought it would be. The switch isn't elegant but it serves it's purpose. I plan to hide it anyway.

The Y6 tram has had a paint job and some extra roof detail. A little bit of detail paint work to tidy it up and that's done. I'm really pleased with it.

1 comment:

Phil Parker said...

Mog - The test track is an excellent idea. I really wish we'd built one before embarking on Flockburgh. Several times the layout was nearly abandoned because we couldn't make stock stay on the track and couldn't work out if it was the rolling stock or the trackwork at fault.
Good Luck. Phil